Solomon Recipes

I started this blog so I could pass along family recipes to my children. Most of these recipes are Eaton recipes.







But, no need to share the last name Solomon. The majority of the recipes are made by me, Mother Goose, my Sister in law, Gretchen and two friends Leta and HK. If you would like to be a contributor, just holla!



























PICTURES ON THIS BLOG ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN

You can contact me at 1flyinhawaiian@twc.com


Please check my family blog out with a clickety click.



Shhh... if you know us please get to know our blog names! Thanks, Mother Goose!



Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Samoa or Caramel Delights Girl Scout Cookie bars


These have always been my favorite Girl Scout cookie. I adore these cookies. So imagine my joy when I stumbled across this recipe. This recipe is the same recipe everywhere. The caramel is soft and chewey and the cookie is light, airy and crunchy. mmmm...
I found this recipe on foodgawker.com, and more specifically here.

They are fairly simple to make but they take a bit of time because you need to toast your coconut and melt your chocolate but you must also wait for ingredients to cool between each step. I quickened the process by putting it in the fridge to cool. However, they are every bit worth the time. They will definitely be a welcomed addition to my Christmas cookie trays!

This is a three step recipe. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

STEP 1. COOKIE CRUST
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened ( i use 1 cup softened butter)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350F.

Add sugar and butter to mixer and mix until light and fluffy.

Beat in egg and vanilla extract.

Add flour and salt. At a low mixer speed until mixture is just blended. It does not have to come together. It will look like wet sand.

Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan, or line with parchment paper.

Press crumb mixture evenly into pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Until edges are lightly browned.

Cool completely in pan on wire rack before adding next step.
While cookie crust is cooling, reduce oven to 300 degrees.

STEP 2.

3 cups shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened) I used the entire bag
12-oz chewy caramels (my bag was 14 oz. I used the entire bag)
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp milk
10 oz. dark or semisweet chocolate (I used a bakers sweet semi chocolate in a bar but choc. chips will work)
Paraffin wax or 1 tbsp. butter. I felt the chocolate was too thick, so I thinned it by adding a tbsp butter. If you have paraffin wax you can add this if you like.


a. Spread coconut flakes evenly onto cookie sheet and place on middle rack. Every 5 minutes turn the flakes until they are lightly brown and toasted.
Remove from oven and allow to cool.


b.
While coconut flakes are cooling unwrap caramels and place in med to large microwave safe bowl.
Add 3 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp salt
Place in microwave and stir every 35 to 45 seconds until smooth.

c.
When smooth stir in toasted coconut flakes until well blended.

Pour over cooled cookie crust. Use a greased spatula to spread coconut flakes evenly over crust.
Allow this to cool and set completely.


When cooled cut with a large knife or pizza cutter into even bars. Remove bars from pan and place on lined cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper.

STEP 3.
Melt 10 0z. of chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Stirring every 10 seconds until melted. (Once again, I thinned my chocolate slightly by adding 1 Tbsp. butter.)

Drizzle with spoon chocolate over cookie bars going in one direction, (side to side)

Drizzle with spoon chocolate over cookie bars going in opposite direction, (up and down)

Place cookie sheet in refrigerator until hardened.

Once chocolate has hardened remove from fridge and Dip the bottoms of each cookie into melted chocolate and place back on lined cookie sheet.

Return back to fridge to set. Cookies are ready to eat and should be stored in an air tight container in refrigerator or freezer.

1 comment:

Ane said...

This is my next dessert! I love Samoas!! And my Samoan...lol;) Thanks for sharing Chrys!