Solomon Recipes

I started this blog so I could pass along family recipes to my children. Most of these recipes are Eaton recipes.







But, no need to share the last name Solomon. The majority of the recipes are made by me, Mother Goose, my Sister in law, Gretchen and two friends Leta and HK. If you would like to be a contributor, just holla!



























PICTURES ON THIS BLOG ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN

You can contact me at 1flyinhawaiian@twc.com


Please check my family blog out with a clickety click.



Shhh... if you know us please get to know our blog names! Thanks, Mother Goose!



Friday, March 11, 2011

Home made Steak Tacos

Yadira has come to spend her Spring break with us and she has spoiled me from ever reaching for a pre made taco again!! I'm so sad! These are delicious and I wondered why I didn't just fry up my own tacos!
The pico de gallo is delicious! I'm eating it with everything.
Steak Tacos served with pico de gallo, spanish rice and refried beans!
Serves 4 to 6
Ingredients
1 1/2 lb flank steak, trimmed (We had left over steak from the night before)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 and 1/2 tablespoon chile powder
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 package of corn tortillas
Can you just taste the goodness?

DIRECTIONS
  1. Heat a well-seasoned ridged grill pan (preferably cast-iron) over moderately high heat until beginning to smoke, then brush with oil.
  2. While pan heats, pat steak dry and stir together spices and salt, then rub all over both sides of steak.
  3. Grill steak, turning over once, 9 to 11 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes.
  4. Because my steak was left over, it is NY Strip and ribeye and I sliced it thin and small to stretch it to feed all of us.
  5. Cut steak thinly steak across the grain. Serve with tortillas and toppings. Because my steak was a left over. I made up the seasoning and quickly heated the meat with it for flavor!
MAKING THE TORTILLAS
Prior to frying the corn tortillas. Place a few tortillas on a microwave safe dish and place a damp paper towel over the top. Heat for 20 seconds or so. We just want these soft and pliable so they do not crack when folded.

Once tortilla is heated add a table spoon or two of the meat to the center of the tortilla. You don't want to over stuff with meat because the tortilla should fold over easily, while in the pan.

 You will want to use a fork to keep the top from unfolding. You may place more than one in the frying pan. You want to the oil to sizzle but not reach it's smoking point.

REMOVE from pan and place on paper towel to remove excess oil. Continue frying the remainder of the tortillas until all the meat is used.
The only down side to this is if you are not careful with heating the oil it can leave your house with a fried oil smell. But, it is definitely worth the satisfaction of preparing!

No comments: