Solomon Recipes

I started this blog so I could pass along family recipes to my children. Most of these recipes are Eaton recipes.







But, no need to share the last name Solomon. The majority of the recipes are made by me, Mother Goose, my Sister in law, Gretchen and two friends Leta and HK. If you would like to be a contributor, just holla!



























PICTURES ON THIS BLOG ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN

You can contact me at 1flyinhawaiian@twc.com


Please check my family blog out with a clickety click.



Shhh... if you know us please get to know our blog names! Thanks, Mother Goose!



Sunday, March 13, 2011

Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I went to a luncheon and brought this heart warming soup! It was thick, rich and delicious! I doubled the recipe and it served 8 people perfectly, when doubled. The original recipe can be found here.
The perfect presentation would have been to serve it into bread bowls! But, I was being cost efficient and didn't find it necessary to spend $4 on a bread bowl when we had homemade rolls there as well! It was very good and I would definitely make it again!

Recipe Serves 4
Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter, melted ( I added more
1/2 medium onion, chopped (Instead, I replaced with  minced onion powder) My husband doesn't like the texture of onions.
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half ( I added more, it will depend how thin or thick you like your soup)
2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
1/2 pound fresh broccoli
1 cup carrots, julienned (this time I omitted the carrots)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar (Again, I added more, all of these things are to taste.)

I also added a bit of garlic powder to taste. I would start with 1/4 tsp.
Directions


Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve.  Garnish with fresh steamed broccoli and sprinkle with cheese. Serve with crusty roll or in a bread bowl.

No comments: