Solomon Recipes

I started this blog so I could pass along family recipes to my children. Most of these recipes are Eaton recipes.







But, no need to share the last name Solomon. The majority of the recipes are made by me, Mother Goose, my Sister in law, Gretchen and two friends Leta and HK. If you would like to be a contributor, just holla!



























PICTURES ON THIS BLOG ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN

You can contact me at 1flyinhawaiian@twc.com


Please check my family blog out with a clickety click.



Shhh... if you know us please get to know our blog names! Thanks, Mother Goose!



Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Snowballs, Russian Tea cakes, Italian Butter nuts, Mexican Wedding Cakes

This is a cookie with a thousand names but whatever you call them they are delicious! I think even the Greeks have a wedding crescent tradition using this recipe!

I have always loved these cookies. I have loved them from my childhood. No one else liked them because they were powdery and maybe a bit on the dry side but that was what I adored and I loved the texture and the way they would stick to the roof of my mouth! They have a small crunch on the outside, smoothe and buttery on the inside met with small flecks of chopped pecans. I am so nostalgic just reminiscing of this little ball of powder! I adore these and will find any excuse to make them. My sister calls them snow balls and once again, Jennifer made them for her Christmas platter. I too add them to my holiday platters. I have a word of warning for these cookies. You must be careful not to over bake. They can easily serve as golf balls or knock a tooth out.

This recipe originates from the Betty Crocker Cookbook
Photobucket
Yield: 4 dozen Prep time: 20 min cook time: 12 min Preheat: 400 degrees

Ingredients

1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sifted powdered (confectioners') sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour ( if you don't want to patiently watch these you can reduce the flour to 1 3/4 cup flour)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup finely chopped toasted nuts*
Powdered (confectioner's) sugar

* How to toast nuts - Spread nuts in a single layer on a baking pan (one with walls is best) for toasting in the oven. Cook at 400 degrees F for 7 to 10 minutes or until the nuts start to turn golden. Shake the pan halfway through toasting.

Preparation:In a large bowl, cream butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Sift in flour and salt; stir until well mixed. Mix in nuts. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Roll dough into 1-inch balls.
Place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from oven and cool slightly on wire cooling racks.
While still warm, roll cookies in powdered sugar. When cookies have cooled, roll them again in the confectioners sugar to give them a nice even coating of sugar.
Store in an air tight container.

Variation: Substitute 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips for the nuts.
Photobucket

No comments: