Solomon Recipes

I started this blog so I could pass along family recipes to my children. Most of these recipes are Eaton recipes.







But, no need to share the last name Solomon. The majority of the recipes are made by me, Mother Goose, my Sister in law, Gretchen and two friends Leta and HK. If you would like to be a contributor, just holla!



























PICTURES ON THIS BLOG ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN

You can contact me at 1flyinhawaiian@twc.com


Please check my family blog out with a clickety click.



Shhh... if you know us please get to know our blog names! Thanks, Mother Goose!



Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Coconut Curry Chicken




A few friends from work have been trying different ethnic cuisines each month. We have tried Indian and Thai foods. This is an Indian dish that I particularly liked and tried to duplicate. After surfing the net through various recipes. I came up with one that I like. I am still working on how to make a more pugnent coconut flavor. In this recipe there is just a tease of the coconut flavor.
I found my recipe from Allrecipes.com and foodgawker.com

The saddest thing about this dish. Is my card got corrupted and I lost all my pictures. At least I have the final product but the picture does not do this dish justice!
I did this over the stove top in a skillet but to save time you could brown your chicken pieces and then toss everything in covered dish and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until chicken is super tender. Make sure your dish is covered with a lid or foil.

Coconut Curry Chicken
2 to 3 of pounds chicken (I had a whole chicken cut in pieces) I took most of the fatty skin off but left some for flavor.

1 can coconut milk

2 cups chicken broth

Cayenne Pepper to taste (our family likes it hot, I used 1 to 2 TBsp)

Curry Powder to taste Start with 2 TBLsp, (I used 2 1/2 and a few more dashesTBLsp)

Cumin Powder to taste ( I used 1tsp)

Salt and Pepper to taste

1 TBLsp crushed garlic or if you have garlic powder you can add 1-2 tsp.

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tsp vanilla, (this enhances the flavor of the coconut

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Wash and lightly dry the chicken. Put 1 TBLsp butter in hot skillet and add chicken pieces.

Brown the chicken seasoning it with salt and pepper. Add crushed garlic to pan.

Add the chicken broth and coconut milk.

Then sprinkle the rest of the spices and ingredients over the chicken and broth.

On medium to low heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
Cover skillet with lid and allow chicken to tenderize and bake in sauce.

Remove lid and stir the coconut around. (this will clump some)

Continue to simmer on stove for another 30 minutes or so UNCOVERED until chicken is completely done.

Once chicken is tender and falling off the bone. Remove chicken from skillet.

Add 1 TBLsp of butter and bring the sauce to a full boil. Whisk til smoothe and reduce.

I took 1/4 cup of the broth mixture and added 2tsp of cornstarch. Stir until dissolved.

Add to remainder of broth in skillet. Continue to whisk over medium heat.

Taste the sauce to make sure that it is seasoned enough to your liking. If it needs something extra add it here.

We loved it. It was good.
Serve over rice and homemade naan!


***********Baking directions*****************************

If you were to bake. Oven 375
Add your chicken pieces to a 9x13 pan.
Pour broth and coconut milk.
Add all seasonings
cover dish with lid or heavy duty foil.
Allow to bake for 45 minutes.
Stir sauce around to mix coconut mixture.
Bake another 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove chicken from pan and pour sauce into a skillet.
Add 1 TBLsp butter and bring to boil.
thicken, you can add more seasonings and some cornstarch to thicken sauce slightly.
Cook your rice and naan and ENJOY!

No comments: