Solomon Recipes

I started this blog so I could pass along family recipes to my children. Most of these recipes are Eaton recipes.







But, no need to share the last name Solomon. The majority of the recipes are made by me, Mother Goose, my Sister in law, Gretchen and two friends Leta and HK. If you would like to be a contributor, just holla!



























PICTURES ON THIS BLOG ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN

You can contact me at 1flyinhawaiian@twc.com


Please check my family blog out with a clickety click.



Shhh... if you know us please get to know our blog names! Thanks, Mother Goose!



Monday, February 21, 2011

Lemon Chiffon Cake! ooh LaLa

The lemon chiffon cake recipe comes straight from Martha Stewart herself! Let me tell you it is light it is airy, it is beautiful it is ::Sigh:: heaven! A perfect perfect cake on a summer day or to welcome spring or for anything. I have to say, naturally I'm inclined to choose the chocolate cake but this has one my heart over!

Lemon Chiffon Cake - from Martha Stewart Living

3/4 cup cake flour

1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp sugar, divided
3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp grated lemon zest (about 4 lemons)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup water
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees

1. In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and 3/4 cup sugar. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the three egg yolks, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and water.

3.Stir in the dry ingredients.

4. In an electric mixer, beat the three egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat on high until soft peaks form, 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the tablespoon of sugar, beating on high for 3 minutes or until stiff peaks form.

5. Stir 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the batter, then use a rubber spatula to gently fold the remaining 2/3 into the batter. Pour into an ungreased 7″ tube pan and smooth the top with the spatula.

I used a 9x13 pan or you can use two 9 inch pans, I wanted my layers thin, so I could stack them.
If you choose to double the recipe use a 10 inch tube pan and bake longer.
6. Bake 45 minutes or until a skewer poked into the cake comes out clean and the top is golden.

7. Cool the cake upside down.  Let cool to room temperature, and then run a knife between cake and pan and turn out onto a plate. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.


Oh excuse me! I just can't put my fork down!
LEMON CURD also from Martha Stewart Living
Ingredients

8 large egg yolks

Finely grated zest of 2 lemons

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)

1 cup sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces

Directions

1.Combine yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar in a heavy-bottom saucepan; whisk to combine. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon (be sure to scrape the sides of the pan), until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, 8 to 10 minutes, and registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.

2.Remove saucepan from heat. Add salt and butter, one piece at a time, stirring until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the curd to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled and set, at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
Makes 2 cups
It is really a simple recipe!

No comments: